Saturday, January 15, 2011

Workout Stairs

One thing I miss from my days of living in Los Angeles is working out on the Santa Monica stairs. I knew that I would miss the stairs, but I just didn't realize how much. The stairs became my Saturday morning ritual and I looked forward to them every weekend. I loved the view of the ocean, it was such a great way to start out the weekend. Also, you never know who you might see working out on the stairs, my sisters and I saw Ray Liotta once (not a huge name, but still a celebrity sighting). Here is a picture of the stairs I found on Google Images. This is the bottom half of the stairs, you can't see the top portion, but on the top there are just as many stairs as the bottom. Such a great workout, I loved them.



Since getting married and moving to Portland, I've been on the lookout to find a replacement for these beloved stairs, but I haven't found anything yet. About a month ago Jeff was reading Sunset magazine and came across a book called "The Portland Stairs Book" by Laura O. Foster. I knew this was a book I needed to get my hands on. I picked it up at the library and this weekend I'm going to drive around and scout out some of the stairs, thank goodness for three day weekends. I can't wait to let you know what I find.

6 comments:

Kaylynn said...

What a nice husband!! Good luck finding the stairs.

Laura Foster said...

Thanks for checking out the book. If you like stairs and exploring check out Portland Hill Walks; I wrote both of them and PHW was to be called Portland Stair Walks but was changed. Lots of good explorations and hills. Best to you in your new town, Laura Foster

MMW said...

I've read Ms. Foster's Portland Hill Walks book. And LOVED it. I've also tried a couple of the walks she suggested - and look forward to more.

If you find some stairs you like as a workout, give me a call. I'd love to join you.

Steffy said...

Oh how I love the stairs. I'll never forget my first experience with the stairs. I thought I could handle it, but no--and I was reminded of that everytime I had to get off the air mattress--crawling on my hands and knees because my legs hurt so bad. :)

Lisa said...

I love the stairs. Steff I was totally thinking about you when I read Jamie's post. That was so funny :)

Courtney said...

Oh Jamie, those stairs will ALWAYS remind me of you - and how crazy I always thought you were to be getting up at some god-forsaken hour to exercise on a Saturday. :)

Hope you find an adequate replacement!