Thursday, July 19, 2012

Jeff: STP Day 2

We started a little later the second day, 6AM instead of 5AM. I don't know if it was the extra hour or the beds at Motel 6, but I felt really strong the second day. I'd like to think my training had something to do with it also. We rode to the starting area from the motel, which again helped to loosen the legs and warm up. The weather again had been forecast to be warm, but the clouds remained and kept it cool. We had reports of heavy rain in Portland and hoped it wouldn't hit us on our ride into PDX. We did have some light misting in Winlock and coming into Kelso. You can see the moisture on the ground in this shot of the Winlock "Egg."


Lisa and I rode together for the most part until after Winlock. I was feeling fresher and she said it was ok to go ahead. I was able to catch on a great pace-line for a good stretch of the way from Winlock to Longview. They did a great job of signaling potholes, tracks, etc... We even had someone throw tacks on the bike-path and luckily no one flatted as everyone signalled the obstacle. 
In Longview, we had to queue up again to cross the Lewis and Clark Bridge. Everyone was in good spirits and excited to be back in Oregon. Lisa caught up to me here and joined me in the lineup. We joked with other riders and even started the wave for a brief moment before we got to cross. You can see the excitement on my face here: 
Lisa again said not to wait for her. I think she was more tired than I was, but I appreciated the offer, so I took it. Crossing the bridge was fun, but we weren't allowed to stop for photos as we were already holding up traffic as it was. The descent off the bridge was a lot of fun and after a short traffic stop, I sprinted to the head of the pack. Well, maybe not sprinted, but I got ahead of the group and soon started catching up with the previous bridge crossing group on the next set of climbs. 
I caught onto another good pace-line and rode that most of the way into St. Helens, which was the final official rest stop. I took a longer break here and waited for Lisa. I ran into some more friends from Portland who were on the ride. Again it's always fun to see people you know on a ride. I sent Lisa a text letting her know when I left the stop and checking in with her. As I was leaving, we passed each other. She looked pretty tired, but said to go on. I was about 20 minutes ahead of her at this point. 
This final leg of the journey had its own challenges. Having had some great pace-lines, I caught onto a bad one. They set a great pace, but the couple who lead the way didn't signal for anything except stoplights. I was lucky to miss most of the potholes they didn't call out, but those behind me weren't always so lucky. I should have pulled ahead, but was glad to just draft for a while. I did this until the St. Johns Bridge coming into town and then I'd had enough and passed them on the descent. 
Back in Portland, seemed like everyone slowed down a great deal. I guess we were all tired, I know I was at this point, but I just wanted to finish. I kept my speed up pretty well until the Rose Quarter. ODOT decided to close I-5 South for repaving and so there was a lot more traffic in this area. That combined with the riders made it difficult to go very far, very fast. Most lights you were lucky to get through on the first try. 
I was able to get a head of the pack and made the last couple of lights and came to the finish with a big smile. 
I met Jamie at the finish line and it was a great feeling to be done. I'd accomplished one of my big goals for the year, completing STP. 
We were able to find Barry in the mob of people at the finish line. I'd told Lisa that we'd wait for her to come in and I relayed texts to Barry about Lisa's location. She came in about 30 minutes after me, tired but happy. 
Having completed STP, I'm already thinking about doing it again. Maybe not next year, as we're talking about doing RSVP (Ride from Seattle to Vancouver BC and Party!), but I hope to do STP again. I don't think I'm ready for the one day assault yet, but I'd like to see how much more I can improve over the next year, both with my riding and my weight (I've lost over 15 lbs since I started riding).

No comments: